Earl Grey & lemon drizzle loaf recipe
What you need
- 150g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 190g caster sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs, separated
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 150g buttermilk
- 20g earl grey
- 0.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Used tea leaves from buttermilk
- 30g lemon juice
- 70g water
- 50g caster sugar
- 150g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp strongly brewed earl grey, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dried blue cornflower & lemon zest on top (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 170c, grease & line loaf tin.
- Gently heat the buttermilk and the tea leaves together on medium heat, bring to simmer then leave to cool for about an hour.
- Strain the buttermilk into a separate container but don't chuck out the tea leaves just yet.
- Separate the eggs, put the yolks in a bowl with the buttermilk, oil & vanilla and whisk until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Weigh your dry ingredients together then whisk slowly in with the buttermilk mix until thick & smooth.
- Fold your egg whites into the mix until all mixed through.
- Pour in loaf tin and bake for 30-40mins (depending on oven) or until cake skewers clear.
- While the loaf is baking, make the earl grey syrup. Measure out the caster sugar, used earl grey leaves, water & lemon juice into a pan. Heat on medium temperature just until the sugar has dissolved and liquid begins to bubble up. Take off heat and leave to cool.
- When cake is done, leave it for 15mins before pricking top all over over with a fork and drizzling over earl grey syrup.
- Leave to cool down completely in the tin. Then take out and put on cooling rack over a piece of baking parchment/tray.
- For the topping add the earl grey tea into a mixing bowl with the vanilla. Bit by bit whisk in the icing sugar, this method should stop it being lumpy, whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle icing all over top of cake and let it drip down the sides.
- While its still wet cover with edible flowers/ lemon zest. Leave dry out for an hour or so before cutting.