Earl Grey and Blood Orange cake recipe by Middletown Coffee
Shared by Jonathan Hickinson, Owner of Middletown Coffee Co.
Makes 12 mini cakes
What you need
- Full fat milk (250ml)
- Earl Grey loose leaf tea (25g)
- Unsalted butter (250g)
- Caster sugar (370g)
- Medium eggs (6)
- Vanilla essence (2tsp)
- Self Raising Flour (450g)
For the blood orange icing:
Icing sugar (500g)
- Blood orange juice (a few tbsp)
- Blood orange zest
Heat the full fat milk and add the Earl Grey Tea leaves. Leave to infuse for 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile cream together the unsalted butter and the caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs one at a time until combined, then add the vanilla essence.
- Gradually spoon in the Self Raising Flour and then add the infused milk.
- Bake for 15-20 mins at 170c.
- When the cakes are cool, cover with the blood orange icing (you can make this by combining the icing sugar and a few tbsp of blood orange juice) and decorate with some zest from the blood orange.