How to make Matcha + Lemon Cake
Our head chef Maisie appears from the kitchen with all sorts of delicious things, but this Matcha & Lemon Cake is proving to be a popular new addition to the menu. From the bright green colour to the light, fluffy texture, a slice of this cake is the perfect accompaniment to a pot of tea.
Makes 8-10 slices.
What you need
- 170g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 170g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 165g plain flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp matcha
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 4 tbsp lemon sugar syrup*
*Add 100g sugar to 50ml water + juice of 1 lemon. Bring to the boil in a small pan and simmer until dissolved.
For the Icing
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 25g cream cheese, softened
- 200g icing sugar (a little more if needed)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder (sifted)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until fluff
- Add the eggs one at time, alternating with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Finally add the lemon juice, zest and yoghurt
- Bake at 170 degrees for 45mins
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes then prick all over with a fork before pouring over the syrup
- Leave to cool in the tin
For the Icing
- Cream butter & cream cheese together until soft
- Add the sugar, a little at a time and mix
- Add the matcha
- Add the milk and vanilla, then beat until fluffy
- Spread on the cooled cake, then grate some lemon zest on top to finish.